Monday, April 9, 2012

The Iodine Experiment

I've been a nurse for more than 30 years and in that time I've watched a lot of doctor's apply "band-aid" medicine to real-life situations. Lately I've been having some thyroid issues; thinning hair that doesn't grown, brittle nails, dry skin, depression, lack of energy. The only way I can lose weight is to exercise 5 or more hours a day and eat less than 800 calories a day. My basal body temperature is between 95.8 and 96.2. Your basal body temperature is supposed to be 97.8 to 98.6, if your thyroid is working normally. I have a long list of other symptoms of low thyroid function as well.The only nutrient that regulates thyroid is Iodine. So, I've done a LOT of research. I don't want to take thyroid medicine. Thyroid medicine only stimulates the thyroid gland, it does not replace the iodine that is the cause of the thyroid malfunction. Of course, we are assuming here that I find a doctor who will do a thyroid test and Not say that it's borderline to ok. And the majority of doctors don't do Iodine testing. So as the proper medical skeptic/ nurse that I am, I will diagnose and self-treat.
So, I googled my list of symptoms and I found a site on-line to buy Iodoril, which is THE Iodine supplement. Anyone can goggle Iodoril and find it. Now, there is a long list of precautions and instructions on the site. I found another site that explains how to do a home-test for low thyroid. I ordered my supplement and on Friday last, it was here. Now, keep in mind that I have been taking 5 kelp capsules every day for about 5 weeks.
Day 1. Took half Iodoril tablet at 2pm when I got home from work. Within 15 minutes I had more energy than I have in 5 years! Made Ham pies and started on Easter candy.
Day 2. Took half tablet again. Finished up 3 batches of candy. Did 3 loads of laundry and started on yard work for the rest of the day.
Day 3. Took half tablet and still getting more done in a day than I have in the month prior. Basal body temperature 96.1 . Weight 157.5 (and I don't admit that to most people) Did an Iodine Patch Test. On the inside of the upper arm paint a 2 x 2 area with Iodine. If your Iodine levels are good it will take about 24 hours for the Iodine to absorb into the skin. If your Iodine levels are low it will take less time. After 5 weeks of Kelp capsules and 3 days on Iodine supplement my Iodine patch was absorbed within 1 1/2 hours!
Today, I took half tablet and went to work, the day buzzed by. I will need to remember to take a full bottle of water to work and maybe stash some extra in the car. I was thirsty all day, and a bit headache-y by the end from not having enough liquids today. So far though, I must admit, this is a great way to repair a malfunctioning thyroid. Do your own research. I'll try to post my journey as I go along. My understanding is, that this can take the better part of a year. Iodine supplementation needs to be slow or you risk elevated heart rate and high blood pressure issues among other things.
More later.

The link:
http://joannebrophy.com/programs/iodinetherapy.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment