Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wildflower's Organics

Wildflower's Organics was a dream I had when I was 13 years old. It has taken me a long to realize this dream and I am really excited about it!
When I was growing up we moved about every 3-5 years, so I never had a chance to make a lot of friends and can't ever remember having a "best friend", some days I can't remember which kids were from which school. From age 6 until 11, we lived in a neighborhood that was mostly vacation homes. Neighbors only came down in the summer and most were older adults. So, for the most part it was my brother and I and our 2 little sisters. Then we moved into a Sub-Division (we called them "Developments" back then) There were kids there, lots of them! Most of whom, my Mother thought, were not such a good influence... But I had one favorite friend whom my Mother did like. Her name was Lois and she had a bunch of brothers and sisters and of course, she spent a lot of time helping out at home. We spent time together when we could, either at her house or mine or just walking around the neighborhood.
When we were about 13, the teachers at school started talking to us about what we wanted to be when we grew up. Mostly to get us ready to start picking out our classes for High School. Lois and I talked about it a lot during those months. She wanted to be an Artist. She was pretty good at it already so it seemed most likely for her. I wanted to open a store and sell bath salts and home made beauty products. We were children of the 70's after all, and the hippie influence was strong in our area. Part of my vision was to display the bath salts in apothecary jars. For Christmas that year Lois gave me an apothecary jar. It was the best gift I had ever gotten, because it allowed me to believe that my dream was possible. Until I moved to Virginia in 1998, that apothecary jar stayed in the bathroom in every home I lived in as an adult. I don't know if it got lost or broken in the move, but I haven't been able to find it.
In the mean while, life happened. Education, career, family responsibilities, relocation... During the past few years, the home made bath products idea has resurfaced. Hubby said, just do it. We have the internet now, we have a store of our own, we have Etsy and we have our wonderful facebook friends and we're not going to move(!). The time seems right. So, here we go! Wildflower's Organics is born with thanks to the best husband in the world and with special thanks to Lois, my favorite friend in Collings Lakes, NJ. Lois, you gave me a gift that kept me focused on my dream and for that I will always be grateful! Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment